David B. Collinge
Microbial Ecology and Biotechnology
Thorvaldsensvej 40, 2. sal, 1871 Frb. C, Bygning 70, Building: 70-2-B226
David Brian Collinge
Holger Danskes Vej 3b 4tv, 2000 Frederiksberg
Tel: (+45) 21 74 17 70
Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences (PLEN), Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen, Thorvaldsensvej 40, DK-1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
1982 PhD, in Genetics, Department of Genetics, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, England Thesis: "The Genetic Control of Cyanogenic Glucoside Biosynthesis" plus 4 refereed articles with Dr. M.A. Hughes
1979 BSc, in Genetics, University of Liverpool, England
Since 2002: Professor of Plant Pathology
Department of Plant Biology and Biotechnology, KVL (now KU-LIFE)
1988-2002: Associate Professor, Department of Plant Biology, KVL
1987-1988: “Guest Professor”, Department of Plant Physiology, KVL, supported by Danish Research Academy, Århus, and a fellowship from the Royal Society, London, UK
1985-1987: A.F.R.C. (now B.B.S.R.C.) “New initiative Postdoctoral fellow”, Department of Genetics, John Innes Institute, Norwich, UK
1983 Post-doctoral trainee, in molecular biology Univ. Aarhus, BAP programme, EEC
1979-1985: Research Associate, Dept. Genetics, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Research interests and expertise
http://plen.ku.dk/english/employees/?pure=en/persons/11699 Chief research interests: the nature of plant defence mechanisms, pathogenicity mechanisms, signal sensing and signal transduction in plants. Exploitation in disease control for developing countries. Nature of fungal interactions with necrotrophs, biotrophs and endophytes
- Head of the Section for Plant Pathology (2003-2006) 30-40 employees in 5 groups
- Head of PhD Research Programme for Biotechnology FOBI (www.fobina.dk) 2006-13: 120 PhDs
- Leader of research group “Plant Pathology and Microbiology” with up to 10 employees since 1988, supervised 31 completed PhD (20 internal)
- Responsible for 4 PhD courses & 2 BSc/MSc level courses in plant biotechnology and plant pathology. Teaches on further 5
- Coordinator for Denmark for (NOVA) Nordic PhD courses in plant pathology since 2001
- Co-recipient of the NOVA prize 2008 for Nordic MSc programme in Plant Pathology
Major funding participated in acquiring over 80 MKr for research, 30 MKr to own laboratory
- Project leadership: Coordination of five research programmes for:
- Nordic Council of Ministers (NKJ), 1990 to 1994 on barley defence mechanisms (1.1 MKr)
- EU 4th Frame Biotechnology (1997 to 2000) on 14-3-3 proteins in plants (11.5 MKr)
- DFFE/PBD (2007 to 2011) on Fusarium in barley and mycotoxins (7.5 MKr)
- Forskningstyrrelsen: (2008 to 2012) Research Programme for Biotechnology (FOBI) application for three-parts stipends (17.5 MKr)
- Danida FFU (2010 to 2013) on Black Sigatoka in banana (Uganda) (3.1 MKr)
- Marie S. Curie Horizon 2020 ETN “BestPass” (2015-2019) (30 MKr)
- Work package responsibility: SJVF (2003 to 2007); EU 5th Frame Biotechnology (1999 to 2003, 1.6 MKr); Danida FFU (2008 to 2011 3.1 MKr); FTP (2008 to 2013 4,7 MKr); Marie S. Curie ETN “CerealPath” (2015-2019) (4 MKr).
- Visiting Professor: McGill University, Canada September 2003; Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China, since 2014, Univ Pretoria, South Africa since 2015
- Referee for over 20 international scientific journals and several international research councils
- Member of faculty PhD study board since 2002, departmental board since inception in 2012, chair since 2016.
- Member of 45 PhD assessment committees at 12 universities in 7 countries since 1988.
- Member national examination boards biology (c. 1995 to 2004), chemical engineering (since 2006), Agriculture (since 2015).
- Member, the plant expert panel for Swedish Research Council, Formas (2005-8) ca 100 applic p.a.
- Membership of ad hoc programme/institution review boards for e.g. Swedish Mistra (2008), Norwegian Research Council (2003, 2004) Nordic “NKJ” (2008, 2009), French INRA (2011), South African (2006)
- Associate Editor international journals: Plant Mol. Biol. (1996-2002); Eur. J. Plant Pathol. (since 2004); Plant Pathol. (since 2011)
- Appointment and promotion Boards: for positions up to Professor level at 3 Universities in South Africa, 2 in Ireland, Sweden and the UK, 1 each Norway and Finland.
Selected recent refereed articles (since 2010) According to Web of Knowledge: total 94 published since 1982, 18 since 2011, 5547 citations, h-index: 34 (9/2016) (plus 5 books/ journal special issues (ed) and 11 book chapters) ORCID 0000-0003-2690-5820 ResearcherID: G-2854-2014 http://plen.ku.dk/english/employees/?id=11699&f=3&pubcategory=&vis=medarbejde [citations]
- CRK Consortium: Bourdais G, Burdiak P, Gauthier A, Nitsch L, Salojärvi J, Rayapuram C, Idänheimo N, Hunter, K, Kimura S, Merilo E, Vaattovaara A, Oracz K, Kaufholdt D, Pallon A, Anggoro DT, Glow D, Lowe J, Zhou J, Mohammadi O, Albert A, Lang H, Ernst D, Kollist H, Brosché M, Durner J, Borst JW, Collinge DB, Karpinski S, Lyngkjær MF, Robatzek S, Wrzaczek M and Kangasjärvi J. (2015) Large-scale phenomics identifies primary and fine-tuning roles for CRKs in responses related to oxidative stress. PLoS Genetics 11: e1005373 [5 citations]
- Rodriguez-Algaba J, Sørensen J, Sørensen H, Khoa NĐ, Collinge DB, Jorgensen H (2015) Activity-guided separation of Chromolaena odorata leaf extract reveals fractions with rice disease-reducing properties EJPP 143: 331-341.
- Karlsson M, Durling MB, Choi JY, Kosawang C, Lackner G, Tzelepis GD, Nygren K, Dubey MK, Kamou N, Levasseur A, Zapparata A, Wang JH, Amby JB, Jensen B, Sarrocco S, Panteris E, Lagopodi AL, Pöggeler S, Vannacci G, Collinge DB, Hoffmeister D, Henrissat B, Lee JH, Jensen DF (2015) Insights on the Evolution of Mycoparasitism from the Genome of Clonostachys rosea. Genome Biol Evol 7: 465-480 
- Kosawang C, Karlsson M, Vélëz H, Rasmussen PH, Collinge DB, Jensen B, Jensen DF (2014). Zearalenone detoxification by zearalenone hydrolase is important for the antagonistic ability of Clonostachys rosea against mycotoxigenic Fusarium graminearum. Fungal Biology. 118: 364-373http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.funbio.2014.01.005 
- Kosawang C, Karlsson M, Jensen DF, Dilokpimol A, and Collinge DB (2014). Transcriptomic profiling to identify genes involved in Fusarium mycotoxin Deoxynivalenol and Zearalenone tolerance in the mycoparasitic fungus Clonostachys rosea. BMC genomics. 15:55 doi:10.1186/1471-2164-15-55 
- McKinney LV, Nielsen LR, Collinge DB, Thomsen IM, Hansen JK, and Kjær ED (2014). The Chalara dieback crisis; genetic variation in resistance can prove a long term solution. Plant Pathol. 63: 485–499. 
- Chen YJ, Perera V, Christiansen MW, Holme IB, Gregersen PL, Grant MR, Collinge DB, Lyngkjær MF (2013) The barley HvNAC6 transcription factor affects ABA accumulation and promotes basal resistance against powdery mildew, Plant.Mol.Biol., 83: 577-590. DOI:10.1007/s11103-013-0109-1 
- Louarn S, Nawrocki A, Thorup-Kristensen K, Lund OS, Jensen ON, Collinge DB, Jensen B. (2013) Proteomic changes and endophytic micromycota during storage of organically and conventionally grown carrots. Postharvest Biology And Technology 76: 26-33 DOI: 10.1016/j.postharvbio.2012.08.011 
- Zhang WJ, Pedersen C, Kwaaitaal M, Gregersen PL, Mørch SM, Hanisch S, Kristensen AK, Fuglsang AT, Collinge DB, Thordal-Christensen H. (2012) Interaction of barley powdery mildew effector candidate CSEP0055 with the defence protein PR17c. Mol Plant Pathol 13: 1110–1119 
- Yang F, Jensen JD, Svensson B, Jørgensen HJL Jørgensen LN, Collinge DB & Finnie C (2012) Secretomics identifies Fusarium graminearum proteins involved in the interaction with barley and wheat. Mol Plant Pathol 13: 445-453 
- Rayapuram C, Jensen MK, Maiser F, Shanir JV, Hornshøj H, Rung JH, Gregersen PL, Schweizer P, Collinge DB, Lyngkjær MF (2012) Regulation of basal resistance by a powdery mildew-induced cysteine-rich receptor-like protein kinase in barley. Mol Plant Pathol 13: 135-147 
- Nielsen LK, Jensen JD, Nielsen GC, Jensen JE, Spliid NH, Thomsen IK, Justesen IF, Collinge DB, Jørgensen LN (2011) Fusarium Head Blight of Cereals in Denmark: Species Complex and Related Mycotoxins. Phytopathology 101: 960-969 
- Collinge DB, Jørgensen HJL, Lund OS, Lyngkjær MF (2010) Engineering pathogen resistance in crop plants - current trends and future prospects. Annual Reviews of Phytopathology 48: 269-91 
- Yang F, Jensen JD, Svensson B, Jørgensen LN, Collinge DB, Finnie C (2010) Analysis of early events in the interaction between Fusarium graminearum and the susceptible barley (Hordeum vulgare) cultivar Scarlett . Proteomics 10: 3748-3755 
- Yang F, Jensen JD, Spliid NH, Svensson B, Jacobsen S, Jørgensen LN, Jørgensen HJL, Collinge DB, Finnie C (2010) Investigation of the effect of nitrogen on severity of Fusarium Head Blight in barley. Journal of Proteomics 73: 743-752. 
Collinge DB Biotechnology for Plant Disease Control, New York and London: Wiley (2016) 440 pages. ISBN 978-1-118-86776-1
Chapter: Collinge DB, Mullins E, Jensen B, Jørgensen HJL (2016) The Status and Prospects for Biotechnological Approaches for Attaining Sustainable Disease Resistance. Chapter 1 In Plant Pathogen Resistance Biotechnology. Edited by Collinge DB John Wiley & Sons.
BSc (hons) 1979, PhD 1982